View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 14, 2014, 11:45 AM

Firstly, it seems that there are many different responses to a transplant. I am now on Day 60 following my stem cell transplant. I went to the hospital on Day -4 to start chemo. I was walking five miles a day (Day -4 and Day -3) before I felt the effects of the chemo. From Day -2 until discharge (Day +13) from the hospital I didn't walk a tenth of a mile total. The experience was tolerable, but not pleasant. I didn't watch TV or read. I didn't want visitors. Too much commotion in the room was difficult. You are just putting in time until you can get out. I lost my sense of taste at about Day +5 (regained at about Day+30). My sense of smell had an inverse relationship (I could intensely smell everything) to my sense of taste. One of the problems I had was drinking liquids because of the taste problem. Water tasted terrible and that surprised me. It was difficult taking the many pills when the water (and everything else) tasted badly. My longest period of sleep was about four hours a night from midnight until 4:00 a.m. It was terrific to get out of the hospital and to our temporary living quarters at an apartment. I should be able to move back to our house in a couple of weeks (about Day 80).