View Single Post
Old Sat Aug 2, 2014, 03:58 PM

Question regarding Dacogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuck View Post
Today marks 5 years of success with Dacogen. My blood counts continue to be well within normal limits (except for the wbc bumping up and down due to the treatments)! My diagnosis was MDS refractory anemia, RAEB II, with 10% blasts and no chromosome abnormalities.

I hope my celebration will give others encouragement who are just being diagnosed and/or beginning treatments. Because this drug (& Vidaza) are methyltransferase inhibitors, the side effects are very minimal. And, if transplant isn't an option, these drugs can give us hope for a normal life for years!
Hi Kgtuck,

I am so glad to hear of your success. Dacogen is helping my dad also.
Although I have a question for you. My dad is coming up on his 6 cycle
Of dacogen. Between Day 14-20 his counts go down and he usually needs a blood transfusion or two and sometimes platlets . His counts bounce back nicely and look great. He never feels that great. I heard that around the 5-6 cycle it gets better. Are you transfusion dependant monthly too and have you ever been. On the 14 day my dad's hct drops to 7.6 sometimes it still is dropping on the 17 day. I was hoping that he would level off, and that he would not need blood transfusions anymore. Where were you on your 5th cycle? Any feedback would be appreciated)
I am glad for you👍

Mary