Thread: Transplant Time
View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 6, 2015, 10:46 AM

Hi - thanks for the support - I appreciate all the knowledge and support I've received from this board and will need it more than ever.

My donor is a 10/10 match - a 24 year old female I believe - that's all they told me. I don't know where she's from. She has agreed to donate marrow rather that peripheral blood - could mean a longer grafting time with less GVHD - as they couldn't do stem cell depletion or a fully meyeloablative conditioning due to my heart situation the marrow donation may work out better in terms of reducing risk of GVHD while still getting some benefits from graft v leukemia - at least that's the theory. In any event I'm very grateful to this complete stranger for going through this unpleasant procedure to save my life. Very humbling.

Thanks for the advice Bailie - I'm slightly constipated now and requested meds to deal with it - only been one day so maybe I'm panicking a bit. I happen to enjoy hospital food and have been eating like a pig - no problem with appetite so far - eating much more than I normally do. See what happens in the next few days, but so far I'm looking forward to each meal. Walking the halls while I can still leave the room - gonna try for a couple of miles today if I can stand the boredom - maybe try headphones.

Second bag of chemo just finished - 4 more days. Best to all
Paul
Lower risk MDS diagnosed 2012. Recurring skin nodules treated with prednisone, otherwise watch and wait. HG dropped from 11.5 to 8.7. Kept going down to 5. Vidaza didn't work. BMT from MUD on September 10 2015