View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 1, 2014, 08:00 PM

Hi Brizz,

There was no specific diet I put my son on, other than making sure he was getting his protein from fish and reducing red meat. I did tried juicing - particularly carrot juicing - during the initial stage of the treatment after learning from Marla Brown how it helped in her case. However, the juicing led to a cough and a cold ( perhaps overjuicing ), and we discontinued juicing thereafter. I did find out that to increase platelets, two foods seemed to stand out - the shark liver oil and sesame seeds. The shark liver oil was prescribed by the treating herbalist and doctor.

My personal thoughts are that there were a few things that I did that helped during the initial stages:

1. the use of an air filter in my son's room to remove any pollutants - to ensure he stays healthy during his weakened condition - and the discontinued use of known cleaning agents and chemicals. ( The cause of AA being idiopathic- so we thought removing a possible cause is good too ).
2. the use of the herbal treatment ( Blood Tonic, Blood Well, shark liver oil ) as complementary to the ATG, especially the shark liver oil.

Do read about the use of shark liver oil in helping patients who have undergone chemotherapy. To this day, one "food" is to be avoided that brings the platelets count down almost immediately, and that is alcohol. This is a precaution - Do not drink alcoholic drinks if your platelets is low. The shark liver oil is taken as a supplement daily.

Hope this helps.
Peter Lim, Dad to Stan, age 17 at time of dx Feb 2002VSAA; tx. ATG, cyclosporine, predisone; alternative herbal supplm & shark liver oil, off all meds 5/2002 normal blood counts. Only on shark liver oil.

Last edited by fibogann : Fri Jan 3, 2014 at 09:52 PM.