View Single Post
Old Sun May 8, 2016, 05:34 PM

If we're talking red blood cell transfusions, most centers seem to transfuse either when hemoglobin drops below 8 or when it drops below 7. Some centers transfuse at a higher level for older patients or for other health conditions.

I haven't had many platelet transfusions, but my doc will transfuse platelets when they drop below 10 in a normal situation, but will transfuse at 20,000 if you're fighting a fever or some other health condition. I just had a spinal tap and received enough platelets to get me from 27,000 to 53,000 in order to have the procedure.

There is some resistance to transfusing platelets too often, because the often lose their effectiveness after while. This is less of a problem with red blood cell transfusion, though you can develop antibodies that react to specific antigens on the surface of red blood cells over time. I have three antibodies, which means it takes a little extra time to find red blood cells that will work for me.

Take care!

Greg
Greg, 59, dx MDS RCMD Int-1 03/10, 8+ & Dup1(q21q31). NIH Campath 11/2010. Non-responder. Tiny telomeres. TERT mutation. Danazol at NIH 12/11. TX independent 7/12. Pancreatitis 4/15. 15% blasts 4/16. DX RAEB-2. Beginning Vidaza to prep for MUD STC. Check out my blog at www.greghankins.com