View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 10, 2022, 01:16 PM

They are some in the benign hematology world who say that Danazol is underused in the treatment of severe aplastic anemia; in fact, women who have short telomeres with SAA are very much strong candidates for Danazol as a first-line treatment. It can be combined with an immunosuppressant, but not necessary for this subset of patients.

In one study, 70% of women enrolled achieved a complete response with Danazol for SAA after failing with treatment for ATG + cyclosporine. I was shocked by the number of "complete responses" (not partial responses). Men, however, did not respond nearly as well, although a few of them had complete responses. Partial response rates were not given, however.

If patients relapse a few years later, they can start taking Danazol again. It is true that the relapse rate is higher than those who respond well to only immunosuppressant therapy.

I read a few other studies concerning Danazol. It only works well for a certain subset of SAA patients. Again, it's mainly used with adults with SAA with short telomeres or "suboptimal" chromosomes. Without PNH-clone increase is preferable, but not necessary.

I never knew any of this until recently.

Last edited by Matthew42 : Mon Oct 24, 2022 at 05:01 PM.