Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Practical Issues > Questions and Answers
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Questions and Answers Not sure where to post a question? Post it here.

Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 03:00 AM

Dad 71 just diagnosed with AML

my father was diagnosed a year ago with MDS but had signs for about a year before that. for the last month he was beginning to feel really bad, and finally he got the news yesterday that he has AML. from my understanding, when AML comes from MDS is harder to treat. is that true? also, is the chemo for AML tolerable for a 71yr man who looks and feels quite ill?

if anyone can help me i would be greatly appreciative. i have a 6 month old daughter and i would like for her grandpa to celebrate her first birthday with her.

thank you for your time
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Hi, Joy.

Welcome to Marrowforums. As is always the case, we're sorry you have to be here because it means someone in your family is sick, but we hope we can help you feel less alone and more informed about what is happening with your father.

You're right that the conventional wisdom is that AML that arises from MDS is generally harder to cure, but that doesn't mean people aren't cured and it doesn't mean your father won't be. The chemo for AML can be very difficult, but your father's age is only one aspect of the situation. You say he was diagnosed about a year ago. What treatments, if any, did he receive for his MDS? How did he respond to those treatments? Is he in generally good health--apart from his AML?

I hope that any Marrowforums members we have who might be familiar with your situation will speak up. In the meantime, you should call the Aplastic Anemia & MDS International Foundation (800/747-2820) and ask to speak to someone in their Global Volunteer Network who has experiences with an MDS-to-AML transition.

Where is your father being treated?

Hope this helps.

Ruth Cuadra
Old Wed Feb 18, 2015, 08:24 PM

MDS to AML

I was on Vidaza for a year with Cmml, a subset of MDS. The Vidaza stopped working after a year and I was diagnosed with AML 40% Blast. I am now in Moffitt CancerCenter Tampa starting a 30 day induction therapy of Cytarabine and Cladribine. The advantage is that it is low dose and I'm 77 years old. My Dr here here says they have had some success with it but it is a new type therapy. I am praying it works. My prayers sent to you and your Dad. Ann