Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Treatments > Drugs and Drug Treatments
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs and Drug Treatments ATG, Cyclosporine, Revlimid, Vidaza, Dacogen, ...

Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 02:51 AM

Rituxan

so i have completed six rounds of vidaza since August and just performed the third biopsy since then. we are waiting for the fish to come back next week before deciding whether to continue vidaza, take a break, or seek out additional treatments.

in the meantime, i have started the first of six to eight treatments with rituxan to combat refractory gvhd. i don't have severe gvhd in any one place, but i do have gvhd in several places and it seems to flare up periodically reassuring medication changes and steroids from time to time. rituxan has been used for refractory gvhd with some success from what i can tell, so here's to hoping for another success story.

you might be asking why do i need to get rid of the gvhd so badly if it is not too advanced. this is a great question, the primary answer being that it gives me more therapeutic options if i have another or stronger relapse. the consensus is that donor lymphocyte infusion would push any gvhd over the top and add a lot of risk if the gvhd is not fully under control prior to adding more potentially hostile donor cells.

fortunately rituxan is a pretty easy treatment on the scale of things and day one cycle one was a piece of cake.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 04:54 AM

GVHD

Hi Dan!
Hope the Fish test will be OK and that Rituxan will have positive effect!

Good to read about a member that probably is cured even if you have GVHD!
Kind regards
Birgitta-A
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 09:12 AM

Great to hear from you Dan, I follow your comments closely since you are a step ahead of me. I continue to hope you feel well. It is interesting. I am always interested in your Vidaza situation because eventually that will most likely be in my future when something comes up.
Old Sun Feb 15, 2015, 06:03 PM

@bailie,

i always pray that other members of the forum follow the easiest path possible, so i am hoping that you will not require any additional treatment, so i am hoping not to be the role model in this case, but appreciate the support along the way.

@birgitta,

you are one of the biggest inspirations and very much the soul of this forum, so it is always an honor to receive a post from you. i think it is early to use the c word, but we are hopeful.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2015, 12:25 PM

MDS

Hi Dan!
Thank you for the kind words. You know it is important for many members to read about very positive results because most of us can't be so hopeful.
Kind regards
Birgitta-A