Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Wed Feb 4, 2015, 05:47 PM

ANC and myelofibrosis?

Was in the hospital over the weekend after a scheduled surgery and my peripheral blood showed dacrocytosis (tear drop cell) and poikolicytosis and macrocytosis. My anc was 1.7 and wbc 2.8. From what I understand tear drop cells are an indicator of myeloproliferative disease. Does anyone know if this is true? My BMB only showed myelodysplasia last year and I haven't talked to my oncologist to see if he is concerned.
Sunny age 36 diagnosed Jan 2014 with low grade MDS. Recurrent infections: GI, pyelonephritis and sepsis, then lower GI bleed. PoT syndrome January 2015. WBC 4, RBC 2.6, Hgb 9 Hct 27 platelets 62 MCV 107. Watch and wait. 11/15 BMB showed del(13)(q12-q14)
Old Wed Feb 4, 2015, 07:13 PM

Hi, Sunny!

I hope your surgery went well and that you are recovering quickly!

My dad has only had a diagnosis of MDS RAEB-2, and he has shown tear drop cells in his blood since his initial diagnosis. He always shows at least 1+ levels for all the various cell shapes they test for (ovalocytes, spherocytes, schistocytes, elliptocytes, and quite a few others). When I've researched the various cell types, it often says they are found in other diseases, but maybe they are found in MDS as well. His doctor has never indicated that these findings are of additional concern or necessitate a change in treatment plan, but my dad is high-risk and has limited options. I hope your doctor is easy to talk to and can tell you more about your results.

From what I understand, poikolicytosis and macrocytosis refer to variances in the size of the red blood cells, and it is "normal" in MDS to have a lot of red cells of varying size since the marrow is producing abnormal cells and sometimes releasing immature cells too soon. Again, my father's poikolicytosis and anicytosis numbers are always at least 1+ and can go much higher after transfusions, chemo, etc.

Wishing you a speedy recovery!
Old Wed Feb 4, 2015, 10:36 PM

My CBC results also show poikilocytosis, macrocytosis, anisocytosis, Pelger Huet neutrophils, large platelets, etc - I don't think this is unusual for people with MDS.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 10:31 PM

Myelofibrosis

My husband's diagnosis changed from MDS to myelofibrosis on July 25 after we went to University of Michigan to be evaluated for Stem Cell transplant. His absolute neutrophil count was 1.0 at the last lab and his RBC was 2.6. WBC 1.7. He also has tear drop red blood cells along with several abnormal cells. He has post essential thrombocythemia, which has changed to myelofibrosis.