Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Tue Aug 19, 2014, 01:49 PM
Owner

I think that the safest approach is to stick to canned fruits and vegetables for the first weeks or months post-transplant. They aren't as fresh but they are still nutritious and they are safe. A single bacterial infection can be a major setback after a transplant, and the limitations of canned food are very temporary in the scheme of things.

Once the initial recovery period is over, you can graduate to the safest fruits and vegetables and those you can thoroughly wash. The goal is to get your full health back, and then you can enjoy berries, leafy greens, and everything else for the rest of your life!
Old Tue Aug 19, 2014, 05:24 PM

You should be guided by your nutritionist and doctor. No raw vegetables. If you like berries they are fine if thoroughly cooked. You can make a small fruit pie, or cook some fruit in the bottom of a shallow dish and then put some cake mix on top and bake.

After transplant I felt pretty bad for two weeks and ate very little. I am eating more but nausea is still restricting what appeals. If I were limited to absolutely safe food I would have lost much more than the 15 pounds I shed. Life is a compromise. Be guided by your doctor.

My ANC and WBC are both in the normal range for the first time since diagnosis. The other counts are improving but more slowly. I am still fatigued it will take a while to fully recover.

Ray
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 06:16 AM

amyangel - You could buy frozen berries and whiz them up with milk (cows or other) to make a yummy smoothy ... Wishing Amy success with her transplant. You sound like a wonderful mum.

Thinking of you too Whiz, Baillie, DanL and rar and everyone on this forum who is toiling through post-transplant. May you come through triumphant!

Remember: "Underneath are the everlasting arms ...." (Deut. 33:7)
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.

Last edited by Cheryl C : Wed Aug 20, 2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old Wed Aug 20, 2014, 11:25 PM

I was just advised last week to eat tubs of cooked:stewed fruit or canned fruit. I just add a spoon full of whipped cream to make it nicer. (Plus I have to gain a few kilos). I was told no berries, frozen or fresh. For some reason I don't understand I was told to avoid jam....anyone know why?
Old Thu Aug 21, 2014, 06:54 AM

Could it be the high concentration of sugar? I know when I start eating anything sweetened with cane sugar I often end up with a sore throat.

Or, it could be because jam can go mouldy.
Dx MDS RAEB 10% blasts + hypogammaglobulinemia, Sep 2011. Jan 2012 BMB - blasts down to 2% w/out treatment so BMT cancelled. Re-diagnosis RCMD. Watch and wait from Feb 2012. IVIg 5-weekly. New diagnosis Oct 2019 AML 23% blasts in marrow, 10% blasts in peripheral blood.