Home         Forums  

Go Back   Marrowforums > Bone Marrow Failure Diseases > MDS
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MDS Myelodysplastic syndromes

Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 08:47 PM

Question BMT/SCT for MDS?

I was wondering if anyone has gone through a BMT or SCT for MDS RAEB-2 (bone marrow failure). Or is it just something considered for when the MDS transforms into AML?
Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 08:51 PM

Question Basophilia

So many questions, sorry.

My husband's blood showed elevated Basophils this go around. Along with low Platelets (60), WBC (3.8) and Neutro (1.8).

This was the first go around in 4 months with Manual Differential.

I'm reading that this could be a progression of the disease, but not necessarily progressing to AML. Prognosis on elevated Basophils is poorer.

eek.
Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 09:08 PM
Owner

Bone marrow transplants and stem cell transplants are definitely treatment choices for many MDS RAEB-2 patients.

Some reasons to consider a transplant:
  1. You have a high-risk MDS subtype.
  2. Transplants can cure MDS.
  3. A twin donor, sibling donor, or exact match unrelated donor is available, which increases your chances of success.
  4. You're young and healthy, which increases your chances of success.
  5. Other treatment choices, e.g., drug treatments, have failed.
  6. If you'll eventually need a transplant, it may be best to have it sooner rather than later, before your health gets worse.
  7. You prefer this treatment choice.
Some reasons to consider avoiding or delaying a transplant:
  1. You have a low-risk MDS subtype.
  2. You want to avoid the high risks that transplants can entail.
  3. No suitable donor can be found.
  4. You're old and in poor health, which decreases your chances of success.
  5. There are are other treatment choices worth trying first, e.g., drug treatments.
  6. You're being treated, e.g., with drugs, to try to improve your health before undertaking a transplant.
  7. You prefer another treatment choice.
Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossywife View Post
I was wondering if anyone has gone through a BMT or SCT for MDS RAEB-2 (bone marrow failure). Or is it just something considered for when the MDS transforms into AML?
I had a SCT a year and a half ago for high risk MDS RAEB-2. I had a few bumps in the road along the way. I am feeling very good now and I might be cured.

Ray
Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 09:59 PM

I had RAEB-2 (November 2013). I had a stem cell transplant (August 15, 2014). I would not be alive today if I hadn't had the transplant. It was an easy choice for me. The strange thing was I felt good right up until the time of transplant with no symptoms. I wish you well in your decision making process. It is important to have the transplant when you are feeling pretty good if possible.
Old Thu Feb 4, 2016, 11:12 PM

I was just transforming to RAEB II when my transplant was done in February 2014. I have had some bumps along the way, but have been making progress.
MDS RCMD w/grade 2-3 fibrosis. Allo-MUD Feb 26, 2014. Relapsed August 2014. Free and clear of MDS since November 2014 after treatment with Vidaza and Rituxan. Experiencing autoimmune attack on CNS thought to be GVHD, some gut, skin and ocular cGVHD. Neuropathy over 80% of body.
Old Fri Feb 5, 2016, 10:01 AM

My dad had high risk MDS and just had a haploidentical (half-match)bone marrow transplant Jan. 13, 2016.....so far, so good. He is 71 and was on vidaza for 8 months and in remission at the time of transplant. 11% blast and the time of diagnosis and after vidaza treatment blast went down to less that 1%.